A Christmas Meme’ry12/6/2013
Christmas-themed memes have sort of been a tradition on my blogs. I looked back and combined some past ones into this meme. Answers to some questions have changed on some over time, but most are pretty constant. If you have a blog, please feel free to post your own answers and leave a link in comments.
- Eggnog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate. Egg Nog is like phlegm custard topped with nutmeg.
- Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Wrapped presents always feel like they are from family. Wrapping presents means boxes, making it harder for him to stuff the goodies in his sack.
- Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored. White lights always seemed like something that fancy people do.1
- Do you hang mistletoe? No. I wear it as a belt buckle.
- When do you put your decorations up? Usually the second weekend of December. And it all comes down on New Year’s Day.
- Is there really a Santa Claus? Not since Wal-Mart ran him out of business.
- What is your favorite Christmas dish? Ham with a mustard and brown sugar glaze. Don’t be surprised to get up in the middle of the night and find me standing in the kitchen in my underwear digging into what’s left over, carving off little chunks. Just one more piece…
- Favorite Christmas memory as a child? I don’t know if I have a favorite memory, but I do remember my mother trying to fool me into bed “before Santa comes” by shaking bells out behind the house. I have to admit that it worked well enough that I didn’t chance it and ran to bed.
- What is your favorite holiday movie? A Christmas Story, hands down.
- When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? It was in the third or fourth grade at school. I was laughed at by a group of girls to the point of humilation for believing.
- Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No. I’m a patient person. I can wait for just about anything.
- Present, or stocking stuffer? Present. Unwrapping adds to the surprise. That’s why board shorts are better than bikinis, too.
- What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him? If I had not had my grade school trauma, it would probably be cut-out sugar cookies. They are a real strong symbol of Christmas for me. I don’t have sugar cookies any other time of the year.
- Snow! Love it or hate it? I really like snow. I don’t think I would like living some place where they get weeks and weeks of snow. But I look at it like going to the bathroom. You don’t want spend your life in there, but a good dump now and then is pretty satisfying.
- Can you ice skate? Lordy, no. The Attorney and I tried a couple years ago. He’s so-so. I’m terrible.
- Do you remember your favorite present? It was a stuffed dog that I got around age five..and I was attached to it many more years than I should have been. It was eventually taken from me.
- What’s the most important thing about Christmas to you? Reaffirming to the people you love that you love them.
- What is your favorite holiday dessert? Rum Cake
- Favorite tradition? Putting up and decorating the tree.
- What tops your tree? A star.
- Which do you prefer – giving or receiving? Giving, definitely
- Name of your favorite reindeer? Blitzen. He sounds like he’d be the big athletic one. Which is kind of how I see myself.
- What is your favorite Christmas Carol? “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” when Judy Garland sings it. That version is a little sad in a bittersweet kind of way and it sort of emphasizes that it’s not what you have, but who you have. I’m also pretty partial to Vince Guaraldi’s “Christmas Time Is Here.”
- Do you have a special someone to kiss at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s? If I can get him above the mistletoe.
- Candy Canes? If somebody wants to suck something for that long, I got a better idea for them. And I’ll rub it with a mint leaf first if they want.
The Attorney does, proving my point. ↩